It is now mandatory for Indian citizens to link their Aadhar card number with their Permanent Account Number (PAN) for filing income tax returns and this will come into effect from July 1 2017.
Assam, Jammu and Kashmir, Meghalaya residents and citizens above 80 are exempted by the Government from mentioning of their Aadhar to obtain PAN cards and file tax returns. The PAN card of the other citizens will become invalid if they don’t link their Aadhar and PAN card.
This decision is being considered in the Supreme Court and the constitutionality will be decided soon. In the meantime, a new e- facility has been launched by the IT department on their website and there is no need to create a new account; the facility can be used by anyone to link both the cards.
Steps to link your Aadhar to your PAN online:
- Visit https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Click on ‘Link Aadhar’ on the left side under ‘ Services’
- Enter your PAN number, Aadhar number and your name mentioned on the Aadhar card
- There will be a verification from the Unique Identification Authority of India which will confirm your linking
- If there is a ‘minor mismatch in Aadhar name provided’, a one- time- password will be sent to your registered mobile number and email id.